Learning Goal: I’m working on a history writing question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
In order to successfully complete the post please read/listen:
- Palmira Brummett, “Imagining the Early Modern Ottoman Space from Piri Reis to World History,” in The Early Modern Ottomans: Remapping the Empire Edit Download The Early Modern Ottomans: Remapping the Empire , ed. Virginia H. Aksan and Daniel Goffmann. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007. Pgs 15-58.
- Palmira Brummett, “Introduction” in Mapping the Ottomans: Sovereignty, Territory, and Identity in the Early Modern Mediterranean Edit Download Mapping the Ottomans: Sovereignty, Territory, and Identity in the Early Modern Mediterranean . Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2015.
- “Mapping the Ottomans” with Palmira Brummett and hosted by Chris Gratien. The Ottoman History Podcast, January 2016.
- answer the following
- What historical time periods do the works by Brummett cover and what problems does she identify with periodization (the way history is organized chronologically)?
- During the early modern world, what was the relationship between Ottomans and Europeans like? (Give at least 1 example to support your answer) Were these quasi-geographical categories used at the time?
- How was early modern Ottoman space represented in Europe? (post an image and contextualize it as part of your answer)
- How did Ottomans represent themselves? (post an image and contextualize it as part of your answer)
Length: 1 and half Page